How Profitable Will My New Orchard Investment Be? 1-day, hands-on skills class
February 7, 2023
9am - 4pm
Cornell Hudson Valley Lab
3357 US Highway 9W
Highland, NY 12528
CCE-Eastern NY Commercial Horticulture Program & CCE-Lake Ontario Fruit Program
Hudson Valley Location
The Eastern NY Commercial Hort Team and the Lake Ontario Fruit Team are offering a 1-day, hands-on course at 5 locations in NYS in January and February for tree fruit farms on using farm financial information and other resources to make decisions about long-term investments or changes to their business. We will apply the techniques covered in the 8-part webinar series in December to scenarios using sample financial data from fruit farms in NYS. You will work with others in a group through a series of problems and leave with a better sense of how you can organize and interpret your own financial information to make better long-term investment decisions about your farm business. The class is scheduled from 9:00 to 4:00. The fee for the class is $25pp to cover the cost of lunch/break food ($20 if you register early). The remainder of the cost of the program is covered by a grant from NERME (Northeast Risk Management Education).
Topics to be covered will include:
- How to use your financial records to evaluate your farm's performance
- Using Excel for analysis
- How to develop enterprise budgets and use tools like cost allocation, sensitivity analysis, net present value and payback period to assess the viability of a long-term change.
Everyone will leave with a resource book and template excel forms.
If you missed the December sessions, they will be available on-line to review prior to the class.
Dates and Registration links:
- January 11, CCE Orleans County https://enych.cce.cornell.edu/event_preregistration_new.php?id=1704
- January 12, CCE Wayne County https://enych.cce.cornell.edu/event_preregistration_new.php?id=1715
- January 17, CCE Saratoga County https://enych.cce.cornell.edu/event_preregistration_new.php?id=1718
- February 7, HV Lab in Highland https://enych.cce.cornell.edu/event_preregistration_new.php?id=1716
- February 9, CCE Clinton County https://enych.cce.cornell.edu/event_preregistration_new.php?id=1717
Apple Leafcurling Midge IPM - Webinar
February 16, 2023
In recent years, the apple leafcurling midge (ALCM) has become an increasingly problematic pest in many orchards across the northeast.
Western NY Fruit Conference - "State of the Industry"
February 27 - February 28, 2023
CCE-LOF are excited to bring you a muti-day fruit conference in WNY! This is replacing our Winter Fruit Schools. Tentative Agenda is now available.
Fire Blight Informational Series - Michigan Fire Blight Meeting
March 1, 2023 : Michigan Fire Blight Meeting
Traverse City, MI
The team leading the national fire blight SCRI grant "Comprehensive Fire Blight Management for the United States" is hosting a March meeting (in person or virtual) as well as a webinar series. This multi-state series will address new research on best management practices for fire blight control. You are encouraged to attend these events which will provide cutting edge research recommendations into how to manage fire blight. Each session eligible for some DEC credits (see below for quantities, and bottom of article for direction on how to receive credit).